Name of the Technology : Automatic Facial Expression Recognition System for persons suffering from Autism
Disability Sector : Autism
Function : Education and Learning aids, Memory and Cognitive aids
Category of research : New technology/product (not existing in the country)
Brief description of the product/ technology:
The system for Automatic Facial Expression Recognition comprises of a process with the following steps:-
- receiving an input video displaying facial expression of the subject;
- detecting the face region from the captured frames using a face detector for one or more facial features;
- selecting a neutral frame from the captured frame;
- modifying the neutral frame based on expression variation with the progression of the frame sequence;
- analyzing the subsequent frames with respect to the neutral frame for the intensity of facial expression; and
- automatically selecting one or more expressions from mixed expressions in the frames of different facial expressions based on frame by frame analysis;
- quantifying and displaying graphically the intensity or degree of expression for easy user interpretation.
The developed assistive technology will have social impact by enhancing the communication skill of challenged people/child suffering from autism.
People suffering from autism have difficulty with recognizing other people’s emotions and are therefore unable to react to it. The product so developed is unique of its kind and no such approach has been undergone in the past, there was a huge challenge involved during field trial of the project.
Firstly the psychologists were trained regarding usage of the system to get an effective output from the system.
Secondly the persons suffering from Autism were trained as they were not co-operative enough due to the mental limitations.
Finally there is no research work till date regarding identification from mixed expressions. The product caters for recognizing one or more expressions from mixed expressions which is essential as a psycho therapeutic tool.
Readiness level of the product/technology: Field Testing Ongoing
Anticipated time to reach the next readiness level: 9 to 12 months
Anticipated time for the technology/product to come in the market: 18 to 24 months
Any Hindrance(s) being faced w.r.t. the development of product/technology: Lack of Industry Partner
Anticipated cost: Not Available
Contact Details: Mrs. Soma Mitra, Associate Director, ASPG, CDAC Kolkata
Plot E2/1, Block-GP